Wednesday, July 12, 2006

On the up

When I got in touch with Sky last week, they said they'd need to send an engineer out. Needless to say, this prospect filled me with dread - did that mean I would need to wait six weeks for the engineer to actually come out this time? Fortunately, the answer is "no". The engineer called this morning, and by the time I get home from work I should have hundreds of channels of rubbish to watch again, instead of just dozens!

I have also fixed my computer, largely by opening the case, removing the dead CD drive, inserting a new drive in its place, and closing the case again. I even managed to copy those offending songs to MP3 format. I just hope the 'fixes' suggested by Microsoft haven't wrecked the install of my CD burner software, although if they have I can just reinstall.

Apparently, the wholesalers for my ISP are going to cease the line on the 14th. There will then follow 10 working days of waiting for an engineer to go out and disconnect the line, and then I'll be able to reorder. Then, there will be 10 working days of waiting for the same engineer to go back to the same exchange and reconnect the same cables, and then I'll be back online. Despite the daftness of the mechanisms, things are now starting to look up on this front.

I've managed to actually get some work done over the last few weeks. In fact, I even have a schedule to work to, and am reasonably close to where I should be according to the schedule. Now, if I can just figure out how to fix the problems that have just cropped up...

I actually had a conversation with a woman to whom I am not related (or about to be related) on Sunday! Granted, my contribution to this conversation amounted to 21 words, but they were quite good words, and it still stands as the longest such conversation since I discussed ways to abuse the "I'm studying for my exams" excuse with Hazel some two months ago.

And, I'm off on holiday in three days. In fact, in exactly 50 hours, I will be finished work for two whole weeks, and then it's off to Superman Returns, a quick trip to McDonalds, and then sunny France. Huzzah!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Exactly how many women are you "about to be related to"? I can't think of any men I'm about to be related to...
Am I being dim? Or does everyone normal have people they're about to be related to?

(continues to evade study by now pondering...)

Steph/ven said...

Two.

Two of my brothers are to be married relatively soon. Hence, the women involved are my sisters-in-law-to-be.

See? It makes perfect sense!

Amy said...

Oh, ok. That has solved it. I was worried that I should be almost-related to people too...