Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Case of the Lost Pen

While I was away, one of the pens from my desk "pot o'pens" has disappeared. Now, many of the pens in the aforementioned pot are entirely generic pens, distinguished only from the most common of pens in that I made sure they all worked before placing them in the pot. Naturally, though, the pen that has performed this vanishing act is not such a pen. Instead, it was my preferred pen, the one I actually used. Moreover, it was my "South Carolina" pen, which Claire brought me back from the States.

Naturally, this creates numerous problems. First and foremost amongst these, of course, is that without the pen, how will I remember that Claire went to America? I would write it down but, you know, doing so without the actual pen just seems wrong somehow.

Another issue is that I've had to find a new preferred pen, and I seem to have settled on my "Millward Brown" pen. Sadly, I don't remember how I came by said pen. I think it was probably the free gift from my Ada course, but I'm not sure. So, how can I regale people with the exciting tale of how I got that pen, if I'm not sure? And people do so love a good pen anecdote, it seems a shame that they should miss out.

The third issue is the vexing question of where the pen has gone. Has it indeed magicked itself into a parallel dimension, and will return one day with tales of beans? Did someone borrow it, and forget to return it? Was it kidnapped by ninja, and if so when will I receive the ransom demand? Did I take it home, and forget I'd done so? Did its Visa expire?

You! Go and find out!

No comments: