Wednesday, September 20, 2006

An experiment that didn't quite work

Recently, I've found that I've been waking up at around 7 in the morning, whether I have to go to work or not. This, of course, is not the ideal situation, as I'd quite like to be able to stay up and/or out until about 2 am on a Friday or Saturday night, but can't do that if I'm going to be awake at 7 - I need my sleep.

Still, since I now have to work Saturdays as well as during the week, it's less of an issue, and so I thought I might perhaps try playing it to my advantage. In a bid to try to become a bit less tired, I have started not setting my alarm. (My thinking is that I might sleep in, but that that would be okay, since I have flexible hours anyway.)

Sadly, the effect was the reverse of that intended. By not setting my alarm, I'm leaving myself with a horrible "you've left something un-done" feeling at the end of the day, which prevents me getting to sleep easily. Then, because my brain is a finely-tuned instrument, I wake up at exactly 5:51 every morning, just to be sure that I don't sleep in.

The wonderful irony of this, of course, is that I don't need an alarm clock to help me wake up in the morning. I need an alarm clock to ensure I get some sleep.

Stupid brain.

No comments: