Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nedmobiles on Parade!

On my way home from band tonight, I found my way barred by a most unlikely sight. It seems the local youth had decided tonight was the night to engage in their pasttime of cruising around town in their tricked-out rides, hoping to impress the ladeez. So, there they were, a convoy of cars, replete with the fancy wheel trims, the spoilers, and the loud exhausts. Very impressive.

Sadly, they had miscalculated in two ways:

Firstly, they had neglected to realise that putting a loud exhaust, a spoiler, and alloys on a car is all well and good, but it really counts for nothing if you can't actually afford a decent car to put them on. Otherwise, it just shouts "look at me! I'm a wannabe!"

Secondly, they hadn't realised that, from a driving around perspective, Falkirk is really badly designed. So, when you have a convoy of six cars cruising around town, the mere presence of so many cars on the road causes the whole thing to grind to a halt. And, no matter how fine your ride, it tends to look rather pathetic when stopping and starting its way through the streets.

Me, I have my eye on one of those new BMW 3-Series hardtop convertibles. It's not a car I would ever actually drive, but it's fun to think "what if"?

(Why is it not a car I would drive? Well, it's about four times too expensive. I'm inclined to do much the same for my next car as I did for my current one - buy something two or three years old, and then run it until the wheels fall off. That said, I'm hoping to get three more years out of my current car before I have to make that decision.)

2 comments:

Kezzie said...

Oh dear! Wannabeees!! Did they also have thudding bass boost resonating out of their cars- have to say that that does irritate me a bit! Turn it down I say!!
Where is Falkirk? Is it rural or urban?

Steph/ven said...

Falkirk is a town of some 32,000. I sometimes get the impression that they want to be considered bigger than they are. In effect, therefore, Falkirk is itself something of a wannabe.

The best thing about Falkirk is that it's really easy to leave, and less than half an hour's drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. But, being just off the beaten track, property is actually affordable. (That's affordable by rest-of-the-world standards, not by London standards, of course.)

I didn't hear the bass boost from the Nedmobiles, but that was because I was in my own car with the windows up - I'm sure it was there in all its resonant glory.