Saturday, April 14, 2007

"You're looking well..."

This is something I've had said to me on more than one occasion (curiously, always by somewhat older women while in church). I'm pretty sure it's code for "you're looking fat." Oddly, people have also often been surprised when I've commented that I'm feeling under the weather, because they generally think I'm 'absurdly healthy'. Weird.

Anyway, the reason for this apparent health is largely due to my diet, which genuinely is pretty good. (Those same older women have generally added to their remarks that I'm "obviously eating right". As I said, it's a secret code.) In fact, my colleagues (and a number of other churchwomen of my acquaintance) are frequently surprised by this, because their assumption is that, as a single bloke living alone, I must eat pizza every night. The reality is that I do eat pizza about once a week, but then, I do like it a lot, and after all, why not?

But the rest of the time, I cook for myself. And, as I hate pre-packaged foods (as noted in one of the first posts in "Part Two", as it then was), that means putting in some effort. And, as with everything one does often enough, I've become pretty good at it. (Actually, I was pretty good when I started. Spectacular would be a more appropriate word now.)

But, for all that I've cooked for myself for nearly two years now, and despite the wide range of things I have turned my hand to (with mixed results - my beef stroganof was a particular failure), I have until now been denied one of my favourite foods.

But no longer! As part of my feeling especially heroic this week, and in celebration of being presented with an exciting new dish by CJ, tonight I cooked up my first lasagne.

Huzzah!

And it was good, although I did note a couple of things I should do better next time.

There is, however, one significant problem with living with such genius. As I noted in a post in January, I could probably do with losing a bit of weight. (Plus, there's the code, of course...) But, how is this to be done when the food is so good?

1 comment:

Improv Story said...

I like the way you write :)