Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day Five

Yes, it's the long-awaited first post in my epic recap of the weekend.

Thursday night saw sleep once again prove elusive. I woke up feeling half-dead, but consoled myself with the knowledge that I had only 192 minutes of work to do that day, followed by a game of badminton, and then it would be the weekend.

However, three tasks remianed for me at work. Individually, these were quick, but when operating under a deadline, and in the knowledge that they all had to be finished before I could go on holiday, it proved tense.

In the end, I finished two, but not quite the third, before badminton. I therefore had to return to the office in the afternoon to retest my fixes for the last problem. Still, it was a matter of some twenty minutes, so not a disaster.

I remain on a losing streak in badminton. The issue here is that we have a new player, who is a keen triple-jumper, and therefore absurdly fit. He's also just slightly better at badminton than I. This means that for the first couple of games, I narrowly fail to beat him, but run myself ragged. After that, there's no chance of recovery, or victory or, well, anything really.

The afternoon was spent running around getting presents, and cards, and packing, and eating, and generally running around. And then on to party three.

Party three proved interesting, as it was the first to require moving around, there being a disco and all. So, I duly danced some dances and then, my obligation fulfilled, spent the rest of the evening talking to people.

Somewhat disappointingly, I noted that there was a mass exodus of people around eleven. Apparently, this is a very common activity amongst that particular group, but this was the first time I recall having encountered it.

Tsk, tsk.

Still, I suppose not everyone has the same boundless reserves of energy as me, which must explain why they just couldn't carry on. Lightweights. :)

The evening ended with a slightly awkward conversation with my friend's fiance about payment for piping services (basically, she wants to pay me, and I'm rather less keen on the idea). Given my policy of not arguing with women when they are emotional, I tactically withdrew. Another conversation for another time, I feel.

Then there was a quick walk home, the discovery of a rather nasty hole in my ankle, a quick walk of the dog, and then nice time for seven whole hours of sleep. Naturally, I got about four.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't we always emotional and unstable? That means you should NEVER argue with us!

Chris said...

Oh no, do we have to pay you?!

Steph/ven said...

No.

Chris said...

Hang on, I don't want to be seen as tight...

... how about we have a collection for you, that way you get paid if people think you are any good?!

Steph/ven said...

In all seriousness, no thanks. There are some things I do for money. I call these "my job", and there are some things I do for the pleasure of it. And never the twain shall meet.

Which is not to say I will just play for anyone for free. But then, you guys aren't just anyone.

If you really feel that you have to make some sort of a payment, then I guess I won't press the matter. But it really isn't necessary - it would just go to my Hat Fund anyway.