Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day Four

Sleep continues to elude me. I have now started hallucinating, which is probably a bad thing. At least, my new friend Albert Einstein seems to think so.

Made something of a breakthrough at work, but there remains much to do. Given that I'm only doing 192 minutes of work tomorrow, and have three large tasks to do in that time, things are looking a little tense. But then, I'm on holiday!

The moat at work had gone down slightly, reducing the risk of crocodile attack. Similarly, the recurrence of sandwiches for lunch reduced distraction to a minimum.

Graeme's party was somewhat successful, despite it not being his birthday until tomorrow. He seemed to have some difficulty with the candles, a clear sign of the infirmity that comes with age.

And then, on returning home I was confronted by the biggest spider in the world. So, I calmly explained my no-killing policy regarding arachnids, and suggested we could co-exist. The spider had other ideas, and promptly siezed control of my bed. I now write this from my new web, tucked away in one corner of the living room.

It's fair to say that life hasn't turned out quite as I had imagined.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kill every single spider in my house with my expert non toxic spray that paralyzes them and then they just die, because you never know which one will be a poisonous little bastard and as I have a small child that could possibly be consumed by a family of spiders, I take no chances.

Steph/ven said...

Ick.

I don't actually have a problem with people killing spiders - as you say, there are poisonous ones about.

However, dying due to the asphyxiation caused by paralysis seems a particularly horrible way to go. It would be humane to then use a newspaper to crush them to death - at least give them a quick death. It's not like you're going to get out of touching them - presumably you have to do something with the corpses?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I get some tissue and scoop them up. I prefer dealing with the corpses in this way rather than smushing them and dealing with body parts!