Monday, August 11, 2008

"How old are you, really?"

One of the people at band took exception to my superb new "Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles" t-shirt. I feel this was a little unfair, for two reasons:

1) I wear a shirt and tie to work every day (except Fridays). I feel, therefore, that I am allowed to wear a silly t-shirt during my leisure time.

2) Everyone knows that the Turtles hit the peak of their popularity right at the end of the 80's. This means that they are now newly retro, making me cutting-edge, and therefore achingly hip. In fact, I even have groupies.

(Okay, in point of fact, this last statement isn't entirely true. But I did get a smile from the cute girl in Tesco who rammed my with her shopping cart. I might even have opened dialogue, using my excellent "swapping insurance details" line, except that the force of the blow had left me in an inverted spread-eagle atop a fallen pyramid of Diet Irn Bru cans. The whole experience was therefore only slightly more pleasant than actually drinking said Diet Irn Bru. And there wasn't even an Olympic Judge on hand to assess my form in the Can-Splatting event in the Supermarket Olympics.)

My biggest concern, though, is that in a couple of years the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" will be due their revival. Around about the time S Club 7 reform and are hailed as a "classic act from yesteryear".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am showing my age now, but when I were a lass in Birmingham, they would not call them Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the TV, for fear that children would become violent (yes, that turned out rather well didn't it?). Instead, they were Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. Just doesn't have the same ring. At least you were wearing a Ninja t-shirt not a Hero t-shirt.

Steph/ven said...

Indeed. The absolute best part was in the movies, where they had to digitally remove Michaelangelo's nunchaku. But they did a really bad job of it, so that at one point the Shredder instructs them to throw away their weapons, and so Michaelangelo throws away his empty hands, and you even hear the distinct sound of the chains from his weapons as they bounce over the side of the building!

It wasn't until very recently (2006, I think) that you could actually get the uncut version of the film in the UK.

Utter madness.

Anonymous said...

Completely, as everyone seems to be knife crazy in England and there appears to be a yob mentality among the "young uns". Makes you laugh really because they are allowed to swear on the BBC but they bleep everything or dub it over here.

Steph/ven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph/ven said...

"Just remember what the MPAA says: horrific deplorable violence is okay, just as long as no-one says any naughty words!"

- Sheila Broflovski, "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut"

Personally, I blame Canada.

Anonymous said...

How can you blame Canada? Bunny is Canadian so I can't blame her!

Steph/ven said...

I take it you haven't seen the South Park movie, then?

Try this link.

Chris said...

Or try:

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/southpark.htm

Anonymous said...

Ah, it all makes sense now. I must play this for Bunny!