Saturday, May 02, 2009

Experimental Cookery Breakfasts #10: Granola

Apparently, granola is a fairly popular breakfast choice. This surprises me, as I'd only ever really heard of it in the context of granola bars, which have the double whammy of being held together with sticky toffee (and so loaded with calories), and also not tasting very nice.

It turns out, though, that granola is basically roasted mixed grains, nuts and seeds, topped with some nice dried fruit. There's a little more to it than that, but the basic upshot is that my entire appartment has been smelling of toasted almonds all day, which certainly doesn't suck.

It tasted very nice, too, but I'm not 100% convinced it tasted nice enough to justify all the hassle of having to cook it in the morning. It should be better now, since I made a sizeable batch, but still... I guess that's another one to make up in a batch every couple of months and then store.

I'm also sure it contained a truly horrific number of calories. Nuts are loaded with fats, while the hunny used to sweeten the deal isn't exactly light. But still, my sources say that a big breakfast, even an extravagant breakfast, is no bad thing, in that it sets you up for a full and active day, and actually reduces calorie intake for the rest of the day.

Anyway, this was another win, allowing Jamie to once again break even on the breakfasts at 5-5, with two to go. Next up is stewed fruit, although I don't know when I'll get around to that - next Saturday is the first competition of the season, which means a very early start.

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Uhrgh, pigeon loft scrapings!