Friday, May 01, 2009

The Grand Experiment, Week Five

As noted before, getting to Morrisons on a Monday was difficult. However, due to a void in my schedule, I was able to fit in a visit this evening. As an added bonus, this allows me to get some things in stock for a dinner tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my experience with the store was similarly unimpressive. I had quite a long and complex list, but finding things proved shockingly difficult at times. I arrived just before seven, and fifty six minutes later I emerged, having purchased everything. (This was fortunate - statistically, men can shop for 67 minutes before going stir crazy.)

Anyway, the list was as follows:
  • Tortilla chips, £0.88
  • Pizza (3), £5
  • Irn Bru (24 cans), £4.86
  • Yoghurts (12), £5.92
  • Almonds (2 x 150g), £3
  • Pine Nuts, £2.79
  • Toothpaste, £1.94
  • Streaky Bacon (16), £1.77
  • Mince (2 x 454g), £4.74
  • Chopped Tomatoes (4 tins), £1.94
  • Chick Peas (1 tin), £0.59
  • Tomatoes (4), £0.50
  • Rolls (6), £0.47
  • Carrots (2), £0.21
  • Yellow Peppers (2), £1.58
  • Celery Sticks (10), £1
  • Apples (6), £1.59
  • Lettuce, £0.69
  • Onions (2), £0.37
  • Yoghurt, £0.78
  • Coriander, £1.09
  • Chilli Powder, £0.89
  • Re Kidney Beans (1 tin), £0.33
  • Reduced Salt Soy Sauce, £0.79
  • Balsamic Vinegar, £0.91
  • Grated Parmesan, £1.47

The total came to £47.78. Given that the target is £123.36 for the month, that really doesn't look promising. However, this was almost certainly the 'big shop' of the month, and as such may be giving a false impression (hence doing four week blocks).

My impression was very definately that Morrisons was less well-stocked than Tesco, that it was less well laid out, and that it was generally a less pleasant experience. Plus, the lack of 24-hour shopping is a distinct weakness.

I also noted that there were a lot of offers dotted around the store, perhaps moreso than at Tesco. I think that Morrisons do okay, provided you adopt a "strike force shopping" mentality, and stock up on things when they're cheap. Otherwise, I really can't see them beating Tesco.

No comments: