Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Clean Slate

Last night I finished my fourth book of the year, the Pathfinder "GameMastery Guide", which was a surprisingly excellent book about designing adventures, building worlds, and the like. I was impressed - I had expected basically the same stuff that every "second DM's guide" has given us since 2nd Edition's "Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide" (which is still to be beaten, in my opinion). But this one genuinely did provide a different take on quite a lot of the material, which was nice.

But I don't really want to talk about that, but rather about what it represents.

See, at the start of the year I had three outstanding tasks. I was mid-way through "Great Expecations", mid-way through the "GameMastery Guide", and in the midst of writing "The Goblin Bride", that 4th Edition adventure I mentioned a while back. Three tasks away from hitting a 'clean slate' for the year.

Well, I finished "Great Expectations" some time ago. And, with the announcement of 5th Edition the writing task fell by the wayside (no longer serving any point). And so, last night, I completed the third and final task that was outstanding from the start of the year. Huzzah!

Of course, I immediately move forward with another set of outstanding tasks. The cleaning has fallen behind (by a whole day!), there is a new stack of books to read, there are seven things sitting on the Sky+ box waiting to be watched, and of course there is the wedding to plan.

Still, at least I can start on 2012 now...

#4: "Pathfinder: GameMastery Guide", from Paizo Publishing

No comments: