Monday, May 12, 2014

Tick (sort of)

So, I got my new PC. Actually, it turned out to be more of an adventure than was first anticipated: as soon as the laptop died, I got onto the PC World website (yes, I know...) and identified the likely replacement, and then headed off to the branch round the corner. However, it was out of stock. There was then a debate about whether the touch-screen was really necessary, and then off to another branch in the hope of picking it up. No joy. So I instead ordered it for next-day delivery, only to discover to my horror that the "next day" from Sunday was, in fact, Tuesday. Disaster!

Anyway, I picked up the PC on Tuesday, and all was well. It then sat in its box until Friday.

After all this, the PC didn't actually get switched on for the first time until Saturday evening (I took it out of its box on Friday, but that's all). And then the set-up began.

It was horrible. Although surprisingly, and with one exception, the problem wasn't Windows 8.1. Instead, the bulk of the problem lies with our WiFi network, which seems determined not to work - although the laptop had no problems connecting to our router, the new desktop refuses. It can connect to our network extender, and so can get online mostly. Mostly. But I'm going to have to figure out why the system just isn't working as it really should - as things stand the internet is both unreliable and desperately slow, and given the main uses for the machine, neither is acceptable.

But we're getting there. I estimate that the setup is now about 75% done - there are still a handful of programs to install, some documents and lots of emails to sort through, and no doubt a few other bits and pieces, but it's definitely getting there.

#19: "The Final, Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey", by Patrick O'Brian
#20: "Little Women & Good Wives", by Louisa May Alcott (a book from The List)

No comments: