It's been a tough weekend. Mostly, I think, because the accident just hit me a whole lot harder than I thought - it seems to have triggered a bout of IBS, with all the fun that that entails, and it's also caused some residual pain in my neck (will need to see the doctor about that). Between the pain and the pain-killers I've been taking, I've just been exhausted.
Another factor in my tiredness is that I've spent the last several days feeling unpleasantly warm, almost constantly. Whether it was in the office, on the bus home on Friday, in the living room, or wherever, I've just been cooking.
Anyway, the latest updates:
- My car is almost certainly being written off. Apparently, the price of redoing the airbags alone in close to half the value of the car, and there's more damage than that. A real shame, but neither unexpected nor the worst news ever.
- My journey home on Friday by public transport was a bit of a farce, but it showed me how it could be done. The first problem was that I had a brainfart when I got on the bus, and said the wrong destination. This led to me getting back off the bus and enquiring, which meant I ended up getting the next bus. I then got off that bus a mile too early, which meant a walk to the station. Either one of those two would have been enough to miss the train I needed, so I ended up getting a train to a different station in Falkirk, followed by a taxi home. So, a bit of a nightmare, but now that I know how it's done I can avoid the mistakes next time, if I'm so inclined.
- There was a bit of an issue with getting a courtesy car sorted out on Friday, which should hopefully be resolved tomorrow. One of my colleagues has graciously given me lifts the last two days, but I'm loathe to ask too many more times, as it's a big hassle for him. So I hope this gets sorted soon.
- My car was taken away yesterday. As the recovery driver said, "a sad waste of a good car". Sob.
- I wasn't hugely impressed with Doctor Who last night. I think it would have been fine had I gone in un-spoiled, but alas the BBC in their wisdom decided to spoil one of the big reveals in the teaser last week and in the official trailer. As a consequence, I wanted to shout at the TV "get on with it!".
- This morning, about 5, there was a disturbance in the stairwell, on the floor below. I don't know quite what happened, but it's just about possible that's partly to blame for my current tiredness!
And that's where things stand at the moment, I think. I'm rather looking forward to this week - with each day that passes we get closer to all the stresses gradually getting resolved. Or, at least, I hope so.
#51: "East of Eden", by John Steinbeck (a book from The List)
#52: "Doctor Who: 11 Doctors, 11 Stories", by Various Authors