Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Experimental Cookery 2015 #2: Piri Piri Prawns

This week's recipe comes from the third Hairy Dieters book, "Good Eating". To be honest, I've not been hugely impressed with this book, partly because I had unfairly high expectations after the last one, but partly because it just feels like one book too far. However, I did think I should at least give it a go.

The method here was really easy - blitz up a marinade in a food processor, leave the prawns in it overnight, and then 6 minutes in a blazing hot griddle.

The result was very tasty, though I suspect I did slightly over-cook the prawns. However, I did feel that the meal as a whole was a bit lacking - we paired it with a crunchy salad, and it was filling enough, but... I dunno, I just didn't feel completely satisfied.

Still, I do expect we'll do these again, possibly when entertaining guests or as part of a barbeque. I didn't have any complaints about the dish itself, I just feel it would be better paired with something else.

#3: "Wars of the Roses: Stormbird", by Conn Iggulden
#4: "Pirate's Promise", by Chris A. Jackson
#5: "William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope", by Ian Doescher

This Week's Mug: At great risk, I have selected my "Icelandic Vikings" mug for this week. The reason I consider this a risk is that I bought this mug in my one and only stopover in Iceland, when I was travelling en route to Minnesota. I suspect I'm unlikely to go that way again, certainly not any time soon, so am not in a position to replace it. I have no real idea who the "Icelandic Vikings" are; I just thought having a mug with vikings on would be cool.

No comments: