Monday, September 07, 2015

A Good Ride While It Lasted

Some time ago, I blogged about Scotland's chances for qualification for the Euros in 2016. At the time, I said we'd need to beat Georgia on Friday to make it.

Unfortunately, we lost.

It's worth noting, of course, that it's not over yet. After all, we could beat Germany tonight, at least in theory. And even if we lose tonight, it's still entirely possible to make it to third if we beat Poland at home next month and then Gibraltar away.

But, alas, I don't think so. Of course, I don't really rate our chances of taking anything from Germany (though I'd love to be wrong). I do think we've got a decent chance against Poland, and we really should beat Gibraltar.

The problems is that I don't think that third will be enough. With the results against Gibraltar being discounted, we're unlikely to be the best third place team, which means we'll go into a playoff. Where I fully expect those matches to be seeded, and I expect us not to be one of the seeds, and so we'll have to play one of the better teams in the playoff, and I don't like our chances there.

Still, it was a good ride while it lasted. Maybe next time.

No comments: