Friday, February 26, 2016

Experimental Cookery 2016 #1: Indonesian Chicken Curry

Yes, it's true - tonight I did my first Experimental Cookery of 2016. For Christmas, LC's parents got me a box containing three curry pastes - an Indonesian paste, a Balti paste, and a Thai Green curry paste. As the one of the three that I'd never tried before, the Indonesian paste was selected for tonight's meal.

Not being entirely sure what to do with this paste, I adapted Jamie's Korma recipe - the chickpeas and dessicated coconut came out, and lime leaves went in instead, but the base was the standard onions, ginger and chilli. It was a quick and easy meal to make, about an hour from end to end, and served with rice (and haggis pakora, since we're Scots).

I'm sure it wasn't even remotely authentic, but I'm largely unconcerned with such things - what was important was that the curry tasted very nice. And, as an added bonus, we now have three additional portions tucked away in the freezer for later use. Huzzah!

The one thing I think was perhaps a mistake was that I attempted to use half of the jar but misjudged it and ended up using closer to three quarters. This leaves us with a little left over - maybe just enough to do a meal for two at some later point. In hindsight, I should have added a little more chicken, used the whole jar, and gone for eight portions instead of five. Oh well, I'll know for next time.

And that, pretty much, is that.

#10: "Pathfinder: Breaking the Bones of Hell", by Amber E. Scott
#11: "Pirate's Prophecy", by Chris A. Jackson

No comments: