Monday, April 28, 2008

Wild paries and debauchery

In September, my band are going to Belgium to compete. This is a very fine idea, I think, but it does have the consequence that we have to do various fund-raising events over the next few weeks. And, as the Pipe Sergeant, I am duty-bound to show willing at these events, even when I would much rather be doing almost anything else.

On Saturday, we had a fund-raising disco in one of the local halls in Falkirk. This ran from 8 until 1 in the morning, and was never my idea of a great time, and even less so since I would be expected to attend the whole event, start to finish. It was also to be a rather odd disco, including a pub quiz (?), and the band were to play at it (??), which meant having to attend in full regalia.

Still, never mind, I could handle an evening of watching other people dance for a good cause.

Unfortunately, the DJ was one of those infuriating people who are absurdly chirpy at all times, and who are determined that all present absolutely must have "a good time". So, about an hour into the event, he decided that he would have a dance competition. And, when the response was less enthusiastic the he hoped, he declared that all the members of the band must take part.

Yippee.

Unfortunately, he saw through my hasty disguise, and went so far as to point to me and order me onto the dance floor. At which point, there really was no alternative.

Anyway, I survived this incident, despite not having my "Dance Dance Revolution" mat to hand. The band then went to tune up, which means I missed the pub quiz. We played, and then it was a run down the clock scenario.

Sadly, there was a further complication with my "watching other people dance" plan, which had to do with the ages of the participants. So, instead, I watched the ceiling tiles, and pondered: just how do you solve problems before you see them coming?

Barring a couple of other instances of being dragged up onto the dance floor, that was that. After the disco was done, I was reminded of my gazebo obligations, and then went home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes but did you win the dance competition?

Steph/ven said...

No.