Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Pain and Improvement

It has been years since anyone really criticised my ability to play the bagpipes. I mean that in a constructive sense, of course, but there hasn't been anyone in a position to really point out my flaws since Mrs Currie died. In most cases, I've been at least as good a player as those around me, and in the remaining cases I wouldn't have taken criticism from those people, for reasons of personality.

In the band I've joined since moving down here, that has changed. One of the top pipers in the band has taken a very keen interest in pointing out the flaws in my mad skilz. I'm not sure whether this is because he's just pedantic, whether he really doesn't like me, or whether he's just genuinely interested in improving my technique (and, as a consequence, the band).

It doesn't really matter: he's annoyingly right in the things he points out, and as a consequence my technique is gradually improving.

This gradual improvement is not coming easily. I'm having to really practice techniques I've known for twenty years, and I'm having to unlearn some bad habits I've had just as long. Furthermore, it's a major blow to my pride to have these things picked apart - I thought I was quite good at playing. In all, it's a painful process, and a slow one.

Not that I would necessarily expect any different. The blunt fact is that it's relatively easy to become passably good at something (whatever that is). To become really good, though, takes discipline, effort, and a lot of pain. And that's true almost regardless of what the challenge is.