Monday, May 08, 2006

I love the sound of muppets in the morning...

So, while walking back home from church yesterday morning, I foudn myself being approached by a trio of Celtic fans, newly disgorged from a bus. Having clearly had some amount of alcohol to drink, they proceeded to burst into song, deriving great enjoyment from pointing out that 'my' team were third in the SPL, and wouldn't be in the Champions League next year.

(Why do I think their songs were directed at me, you might ask. Well, there was the fact that they started singing only when they saw me, and their general posture, which did seem inclined in my general direction. Of course, I might be wrong.)

The only thing is, I'm not a Rangers supporter. I've never been to a game, and have an interest in the state of the league only in an academic sense (and because most of my colleagues do care, and it's wise to have some sort of knowledge of what people are talking about). So, I wasn't remotely hurt by their chanting that a team I don't support aren't in the top competition in football.

Why did they think I was a Rangers fan? Well, the jacket I wear happens to have blue and white stripes on the upper arms. So, essentially, I was being targetted for wearing the wrong colour. As I said, muppets.

Of course, that they reminded me of the Red Dwarf episode in which the Cat race have a holy war over whether the hats should be blue or red (they were supposed to be green). And that reminded me that I enjoyed that episode. So, really, it just cheered me up a bit.

No comments: