Thursday, January 03, 2008

The resolutions I'm not making

As I mentioned exactly a year ago, I don't make resolutions for the New Year. Therefore, I am now going to take a moment to look back at the resolutions I didn't make, and assess how I did, and then not make some resolutions for this year.

So, firstly, the resolutions I didn't make last year:

1) To lose weight. As I stated at the time, I was determined to not actually do anything about this, on the grounds that it was too much effort.

Success? Sort of. I was all set to end the year at exactly the same weight as I started it, but on Saturday I was at a ceilidh, as a consequence of which I lost three pounds. This is, of course, a trivial and termporary loss, but it did mean that I ended the year lighter than I ended it. So, I'm counting that as a win.

2) To put an end to the singleton life. As I mentioned at the time, I held no hope that this would or could be achieved.

Success? No.

However... it was pointed out to me in November that I predicate my faith on the existence of an all-powerful and benign deity. Under those circumstances, giving up hope is not only logically inconsistent but actively sinful, as it implies a limit on the capabilities of that which is by definition limitless.

This was promptly followed a week later by a reminder that I'd given up hope precisely because it was just too damn painful.

Still, there have been certain developments that are at least intriguing.

3) To be better, generally. This was regarded as being too amorphous a statement to be considered a goal, as such.

Success? Yes.

Professionally, 2007 was an extremely strong year. Despite a couple of key setbacks, I have done a lot of good work in the last twelve months. I have also been travelling to and from France extensively, which has led to a massive improvement in my French. Finally, at least where work has been concerned, I have been more vocal than previously was the case, which has led to several of my suggestions being adopted as the final solution to problems.

In the band, I have done some teaching, leading to a massive improvement in at least one of the students, have been appointed to the committee, which will provide some much-needed stability in a time of turmoil, and have introduced a number of new tunes to the repertoire. All good things.

However, where gaming has been concerned, things have not been rosy. The year has principally been one of broken campaigns and total party kills. And Shadowrun sucks, big time. I either need to take some time away from gaming altogether, or I need to spend some time just playing. And Neverwinter Nights II is a poor substitute for the real thing, it must be noted.

Also, I visited a nightclub for the first time in December. (I'm not sure this fits here, really. However, I think it is worth mentioning somewhere, and I didn't talk about it at the time.) The experience was much as I expected.

4) To continue being practically perfect in every way. This was noted as being nonsensical.

Success? But of course. Enough said.

So, anyway, on to the list of resolutions I am not making for this year. Which, in fact, will take the form of my master 'to-do' list for the year. So, here they are:


  • Move house. Seventeen months ago I moved into my appartment, on what should have been a six-month lease. The time to move has long since passed.
  • Attend Captain Ric's wedding. This takes place in a mere 93 days, and promises to be the key event of the year. I have been asked to pipe at it, and so I shall. This leads to a small concern, in that Ric himself plays the pipes very well (better than anyone else at whose wedding I have previously played), thus raising the bar on required quality.
  • There are two awkward conversations I need to have, and soon. I can't say what they're about, or who they're with, so you'll have to excuse my secrecy on this matter. However, both were born out of the events of the 31st of December. And speaking of secrecy:
  • There's a gap in my skill-set that needs to be closed up before it is shown up. There is actually a quick and easy way to bridge the gap, but I'm wondering if there might be a better solution than the expedient one.
  • Go to the dentist. Technically, I have to find a dentist first (a nigh-impossible task in Falkirk) and then go, but it is something that needs done.
  • Visit another country. This year, it's either Portugal or Belgium (or, hopefully, both), those being the last two 'easy' European countries to visit.


And that will do me.

4 comments:

Kezzie said...

Oh very good! Successful one then! Very entertaining entry! I didn't actually get around to making any, really wish I had, there are loads of areas that I would like to try, most notably organisedness!
Happy New year!

Amy said...

Good luck with all the non-resolutions! And a happy new year, obviously :) I particularly enjoyed the secret bits in this post - I am too thick to work out anything about anything, but I did have a little go...

Steph/ven said...

You're not being thick - I haven't given any clues, and I haven't blogged about these things beforehand. In at least one case, it's something I can't talk about further on a public forum due to the nature of the subject. (The extensions of that are that even if you were to guess, I would neither confirm or deny... and also that I won't be blogging about the subject in future either. So, it will remain a mysterious mystery of great mystery.)

Captain Ric said...

Aah! 93 days?!