Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All caught up. Now what?

Since Christmas, my brothers and I have been playing through Neverwinter Nights 2. This has proven to be a less-than-satisfactory experience, largely due to the really stupid controls for the camera angle that the game has implemented (in common with most recent video games - but that's another rant), partly to do with the problems caused by internet lag, and partly due to the scheduling issues of getting the four of us together.

So, a couple of weeks ago I started the game again, running in solo mode, with an entirely different character. This had the curious effect of being an entirely different experience. My solo character is a human barbarian instead of a dwarf cleric (as I'm using in the internet game), which means that instead of being slow moving, he's very fast moving, which on the whole is a much more satisfying state of affairs. Secondly, he didn't have to share all the loot, which means he's actually got some decent gear, and isn't stuck with the club that no-one else wanted (that said, I now know where a weaponsmith is to be found - dwarven waraxe, here I come!). And thirdly, he doesn't have any spells to worry about.

Last night, I caught up. I reached the point in the solo game that we have reached in the internet game. It should be noted that I have just reached 6th level, instead of the 4th I've just reached in the other game, largely due to not missing out half of the side-quests.

But the question is: do I wait here until we advance further in the internet game? Or do I press on, on the grounds that we're probably going to have to go back and fill in the gaps? It's certainly a toughie.

5 comments:

Captain Ric said...

There's all them gazebos to kill. You just aren't trying hard enough!

Steph/ven said...

That's just crazy talk. My character is only 6th level!

(This is as distinct from me myself. I have just attained 12th level again, after suffering the most terrible energy drain in Yeovil...)

Captain Ric said...

How long do you think we'd have to "witty role-playing game banter" for before everyone else stopped reading the blog?

Steph/ven said...

I think that has, in fact, already happened.

Steph/ven said...

Incidentally, I did press on, and you'll be glad I did: it turns out there's a bug in the game, where if you don't take the right conversation option at one point, you can never move any further in the story.

I'm going to have to redo a couple of days of play, but we might have had to restart from the beginning!