Sunday, February 03, 2008

Holey socks, Batman!

It goes without saying that when a pair of socks develops a hole, they should be thrown away. However, there remains a question that must be answered: just when should this be done?

In most cases, the hole in the socks will be noticed when putting them on in the morning. At which point, time is something of a factor. Moreover, there is the fair point that, if shoes are to be worn all day then there is no prospect of those holes being noticed.

So, the temptation is to wear them anyway, and throw them away later.

But then, there is the fact that one wouldn't want to throw away a pair of dirty and smelly socks. It just wouldn't be right. Which means, of course, that they must be washed.

But then, once you've gone to all the trouble of washing them, surely you wouldn't want to throw them away? And the cycle begins again.

Honestly, things were much easier when I was under the sway of The Sock Conspiracy.

(And another thing: why is it that my fun Simpsons and South Park socks develop holes in very short order, but my exciting Millennium socks just keep on going and going? They're like the Energiser Bunny of the sock domain.)

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

That dilemma is sooo true! Only just this morning I found myself putting my left foot into a black (well greyish black) sock which had a large hole around the heel area. Time was of the essence and so I wore them. It seems a shame to chuck them, especially as I am rather slow at getting my washing done,which means I need an endless supply of socks to wear- I wonder what I could do with them to recycle them? Textiles company?