We had a small IT crisis earlier this week - it started with some files not being where they should have been and proceeded to evolve into a deep concern about our online security. In the event, it all turned out to be fine (just some expired credentials), but it led to yet another dissatisfaction with an upgrade to an app that has led to a degraded experience.
Which is distressingly common: we keep getting software updates, they keep getting touted as game-changing upgrades... and I can't remember the time one of them actually improved my user experience. Nor, honestly, do I any longer expect that to be the case - at best, companies seem to really not care about these things; at worst, they seem to be actively making things worse in order to try to sell the fix to the problem that they themselves have created.
This is, of course, a bog standard grumble about the progress of modern technology. I do find it increasingly amusing, however, that "The Matrix" seems to have called it absolutely right when they declared that the mid-90s was the peak of our civilisation.
No comments:
Post a Comment