Saturday, March 31, 2007

Seems I'm not due a good day after all :(

Today was all set up to be a good day. True, I had to come into work, but I'm getting paid for it (unexpectedly - I was under the impression that my contract said otherwise). Plus, at work I was just getting to the bottom of the last 'distraction task' before getting back to my 'real task', which was quite nice. But first, I had an errand to run - my new glasses should have arrived, so it was time to pick them up.

When I got to the optician, it was mentioned to me that a message had been left on my answering machine. Which is nice, except that I received no such message. And, since I have no roommate, and didn't delete the message myself, that means my answering machine isn't working. This isn't a huge surprise, but does add one more annoyance.

Anyway, I got my new glasses, which are much like my old glasses except with slightly darker frames. Also, being made of titanium, the frames are at once lighter and stronger, which is good to know. So, I put them on...

and immediately knew something was badly wrong. Every single thing was out of focus, and I found my vision swimming. But, of course, it could just be that my eyes needed to relax and work with the new lenses, not against them. I was advised to try them out for a couple of days, to let my eyes adapt.

Well, I wore my old glasses for the drive to work, of course, then switched to the new ones. Two hours later, I've had to switch back. Its true that my eyes adapted, and I was able to focus on things that were directly in front of me. And, it's true that those things were in slightly better focus than before.

But the peripherals, ah, the peripherals are useless. Basically, anything that's slightly off-centre is out of focus. Plus, I now have a splitting headache, and then there's the nausea. Badness.

I'll try them again tomorrow morning, to see if it makes any difference if I wear them as my only glasses for the day, but I'm not hopeful. It looks like something has gone wrong with my prescription and they'll need changed.

So, work.

I got to the office and found I have been assigned two more 'distraction tasks', both of which are adjudged to be even higher priority than the previous 'distraction task'. Looks like I'll not be doing any 'real task' work for a few more days, then.

Looking into the first of these, I was quickly able to replicate the problem, which is the first step towards solving it. Plus, I have a good idea what bit of code needs added, and even at what part of the code it needs added. But, can I find this latter location in the code? Not a chance.

Gah!

Oh well, at least the test I ran overnight worked.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Shout at the optical people, Stephen; you have every right and they MUST make this better for you. It really annoys me when things like this go wrong because having your sight messed up is so frustrating, and feeling sick is not something you should have to deal with because of a mistake. My opticians sent me the wrong prescription of my contacts once (i.e. -5.5 instead of +) and I didn't know why I couldn't see. It is still not something I can laugh about! Shout shout shout!

Captain Ric said...

You worry me welsherella. Good shouting policy though. Though a shout is good in jest, for real reasons it's not so good.

Julietbec said...

Hmm, both captain ric and Welsherella worry me, although captain ric is often quite normal on here but a bit unusual in real life! Sorry about the crap glasses situation. Can't sympathise, my eyes are perfect!

Chris said...

Juliet is one of those people who say her eyesight is perfect but who hasn't been to an optician in 20 years.

It doesn't take much brain to work out that this has little to no meaning!

I still allow her to drive me places though, for reasons of relationship stability.

Stephen, this does occasionally happen. Be honest though, you know they have got the prescription wrong. Yes, a new prescription needs a bit of time to settle in, but not in the way you describe. So they need to make your glasses again.

Much as it pains me to disagree with the ever-lovely Welsherella, you shouldn't go and shout. You should go to your optician and explain what they have done wrong and then ask them to sort it out. 9 times out of 10 they will do it for you with no problems.

If you go in all guns blazing they will think you are an idiot and they would be right.

Good luck sorting it out. I guess if you are reading this then you have.

Amy said...

Ok, so when I say 'shout' I just mean make them sort it out. ASAP. Actually shouting would make you no friends and potentially bring you into closer contact than you would normally prefer with the security people. Just don't stand for "it'll be another week...", that's all I'm saying. Yes, mistakes do happen but it irritates me when people think they don't have to acknowledge a mistake or make things better. So ok, maybe not shouting, but "firm but nice" should do you well...

Steph/ven said...

Further weirdness. I actually got two pairs, the others being prescription sunglasses, in which I drove to Church this morning. I can see fine in these. (Bit of a sore head, though, but I don't know if this is the glasses.)

By contrast, the normal glasses, which should have exactly the same prescription, are very obviously wrong. Anything about 30 degrees from straight in front of me is well out of focus.

So, they'll be going back. This is a major hassle - I may well be asked to work again next Saturday, and anyway they might not be open, what with it being Easter and all.

Captain Ric said...

Juliet (aah, brain hurty),
how am I unusual in real life? I'd be interested to know. And make up something good; after all, you are sullying my otherwise wonderful blogger reputation.