Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Recent Tasks

At the time of writing, I have made progress on five of the six tasks I identified for my holiday. Three are done: the trip to Antwerp, the haircut, and the seasoning of the bagpipes. Another of these, the decoration of the main bedroom, is all but done - there is still one small job to be done, which I will complete this weekend (tomorrow?).

Of the remaining two tasks, one has proven to be more difficult than expected - the repair to the wardrobe door. Here, I had identified a possible fix that should work, and after considerable annoyance and effort I did indeed complete that fix. Unfortunately, I quickly found that that fix really didn't work right, which puts me more or less back where I started - it's okay for a temporary solution but would be a bad permanent one... and I don't see a good way to properly fix it.

(Annoyingly, the 'real' fix is both simple in concept and annoyingly hard in practice. Ideally, what I'd like to do is remove the damaged part (now parts) and instead fit an identical replacement part. Simple... if you can get your hands on an identical replacement part (or parts). The annoyance comes in trying to find those replacements - there's no sign of what the part numbers are or where they were bought from. Worse, I suspect they were originally bought as part of a kit, potentially from a company that has since gone out of business. So those "identical replacements" might not even exist, and certainly might not be for sale on their own, massively complicating a simple task.)

The last task is probably the most important, and is also on the schedule for this weekend (but may well slip to next weekend), which is to fix the seal on the shower in the en suite. Over the past year this has started to leak. Only very slightly and only on rare occasions, but enough to demand action. I have therefore got the required materials to effect a fix... I just need to find the time.

So, that's three done, one on the verge of completion, one that may be abandoned in an unsatisfactory manner, and one to do. Which is a... poor result.

No comments: