Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cool, but disturbing

A few days before our trip, my phone popped up with a notification: had I considered downloading a map of Antwerp? Well, as it happened, I had already done so (and indeed language packs for French, German, and Dutch, and an Antwerp App), but it was quite cool to see that it was pro-actively suggesting ways to make life easier - indeed, the biggest pain of our trip to the US would have been averted by exactly such a mechanism.

On the other hand, it's rather disturbing that my phone popped up with a notification concerning a trip that I had booked entirely on my PC (and, indeed, using Firefox - I actually prefer Chrome, but it doesn't seem to work right on that PC). That means that my phone is reading and, perhaps more worrying, understanding my emails as they come in.

I'm not sure whether to be really impressed or horribly concerned by that development. Probably both - it's like having a super-fan who just wants to cater to your every whim... and who is quite willing to tie you to a bed and break your ankles to achieve it...

No comments: