Monday, June 17, 2019

Huh. The Grass Really is Always Greener

I find myself in Copenhagen for work, which is nice. And I spent the morning musing once again that it really does seem to be a good place to live - things like the cycling infrastructure, the generally welcoming nature of the people, and so forth. Additionally, our office here is right next to a school, and I was blown away by the contents of the playground - a climbing frame, an semi-enclosed football pitch, trampolines... (Of course, it's worth noting that I have no way of knowing if that's representative of Denmark, representative of Copenhagen, or indeed is the single best school in the whole country. And it's also worth noting that right now I'm pretty much seeing Copenhagen at its best - the grim reality of October or February might be rather different! Having said that, Denmark does regularly come near the top of the tables for both equality and happiness, so there's that.)

Anyway, while I was musing on all these things, we took a break from our exhausting labours (!) and gathered at the coffee machine. While there, the conversation turned to other places to live, whereupon one of my colleagues from Copenhagen started waxing lyrical about the many attractions of living in Edinburgh - the culture, the mountains, the history...

So, yeah, it turns out that the grass really is always greener on the other side.

#28: "The Horse and His Boy", by C.S. Lewis (a book for Funsize)
#29: "The Crow Road", by Iain Banks

No comments: