Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Elaboration

It being my birthday on Sunday, this weekend we'll be hosting my third not-quite-annual birthday barbecue. (Not quite annual because the first one was four years ago, the second last year, and this will be the third. Though my expectation is that this pattern will continue, as there are distinct advantages to making use of the great outdoors, rather than cramming everyone in a single house.) It being the third such event, my mind is necessarily turning to thoughts of how to outdo last year's BBQ. (And, indeed, outdoing the two barbecues I've hosted for work thus far this year.)

Obviously the first thing on my list is to make sure I actually get to have one of the venison burgers this time! Beyond that, I have a two-pronged strategy: the barbecue itself and the peripheral offerings. That is, a slight expansion to the range of mostly-meats that will be grilled, and a fairly significant expansion to the range of side offerings. It's shaping up pretty well, I think.

But there's now a seed of worry starting to take root in my thinking. Because this sort of elaboration is exactly the sort of thing that can get out of hand if it's not watched carefully. It's a seasonal variation of the issues surrounding Christmas that I've blogged about in the past.

That's okay, though, because in among my strategising for Christmas I've already solved this problem: the key is to have a stable foundation of solid favourites, and then to add one or two flourishes, that may or may not be seen again. (Of course, if one of the flourishes is sufficiently well received, then it can become one of the foundation items. Though I would strongly advocate that it should be a replacement for an existing foundation item, not simply an addition. Otherwise, all you've really done is slowed down the rate at which things get out of hand.)

I've not quite locked down the two sets of items - I have a fairly good idea, but nothing absolute yet - so I'll post again once the barbecue has passed with my final decisions. But it's looking good... provided the weather plays ball.

#32: "Moon Over Soho", by Ben Aaronovitch

No comments: