Thursday, December 23, 2021

Baking with Funsize #4: Mince Pies

This was a series I meant to start in November, but circumstances got in the way. So you'll have to forgive me - I have a backlog to clear.

Taking a break from the book of baking, these were made to Paul Hollywood's method that I've used before. Unfortunately, this was our least-successful baking effort, as once again Funsize lost interest, and wasn't really keen on the mincemeat filling anyway. A shame, but never mind.

I've concluded that I'm going to have to do these differently in future - I think I'll make up the pastry a day ahead to give it plenty of time to chill, and I also really need a bigger pastry cutter. In terms of flavour these are really nice - better than the previous twice I've made them - but they were rather too stressful to assemble. Of course, it didn't help that I was making them after a very long afternoon in the kitchen, nor that every single space in our kitchen seems to be filled with stuff. That's something to tackle over the holiday.

And that's the final "Baking with Funsize" for now - there will hopefully be another during the Christmas break, but who knows. The next item in the book is "Lace Biscuits with Lime Cream", which does sound really nice...

#58: "The Bloody Ground", by Bernard Cornwell

No comments: