Monday, September 26, 2022

Experimental Cookery 2022: A Consistently Good Gravy

Ages ago, back when I was working through "Jamie's Ministry of Food", one of the things I omitted was the gravy, largely because I'm just not a fan, and partly because if I ever was inclined to make gravy I always found the powder adequate (because I'm just not a fan). However, it did always bug me that there was that incompleteness.

Funsize let it be known recently that the vegetables we have with a roast are one of her very favourite things, and so on Saturday we had a traditional Sunday roast - beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshir puddings, and so on. And so I took the opportunity to make up a 'proper' gravy.

The upshot: it's all fine. It's easy enough to make, it made for a nice, flavoursome gravy, it was distinctly different than the powdered stuff (big shock)... but it really wasn't worth the effort. I might make it again, but not for either beef or chicken - powder is easily available for those, but for pork, lamb, or turkey it might be worthwhile.

Still, it's certainly not something I regret, and another one to tick off the list.

No comments: