Saturday, December 31, 2022

End of Year Update on Goals

As part of the end-of-year wrap-up, here is the closing update on my goals for the year:

  • Books: There will be a separate post about the books of the year, but the headline figure is that I fell well short of my goal of 60 books - in the end I completed little more than half that number. I had also hoped to complete The List this year, but that didn't happen either. That's not too bad, though, as I fully expect to finish next year.
  • Weight: There has been no movement on this one. I won't be carrying this goal through to next year.
  • Blogging: The traditional "My Year In..." post will complete the goal for this year. Additionally, I have posted a full 60 times on the Imaginarium, so this goal has been the shining light of the year.
  • Redecorating the Hallway: This one is done, sort of. We got the hallway redecorated, but never got around to replacing the carpet or hanging suitable new pictures. I'm reasonably happy with the outcome, but I do expect that we'll spend some time next year finishing it up.
  • Super Secret Goal: I abandoned this goal midway through the year. I'm still not sure whether this was the right thing to do.

So that's that: one resounding success, one middling success, one abandoned, and two abject failures. That's not a great result for the year - it suggests either something went wrong or I simply had the wrong goals set.

My goals for 2023 are somewhat similar:

  • Books: My goal for the year is both fairly simple and fairly trivial: I want to finish up The List. Any books read beyond that will be a bonus.
  • Blogging: Once again, I'd like to post 120 times in the year. I'm still not setting a goal for The Imaginarium.
  • Redecoration: Our refresh of the house remains a long-term goal. In the next year we hope to tackle the painted sections of the bathrooms/toilets in the house. That's not a big job, but it will be good to have it done. We'll also aim to finish up the left over bits of the hallway - the new carpet, and getting some pictures up.

And that's that.

No comments: