Thursday, March 02, 2023

Freeze!

After eight and a half years of sterling service, my home PC has finally failed on us - for the past few months it has sporadically suffered from random freezes, which finally reached the point where it would consistently freeze while booting up. Frustratingly, I saw this coming just a little bit too late to get a really good backup of everything from the main PC - although we have multiple backups, there's one I don't entirely trust and another that is 3 months old. (Which isn't actually all that bad, given the way that PC is used - worst case scenario is that we've lost a year's worth of photos, mostly photos of randomness taken by Funsize.)

I have a new PC on order, which should arrive at the weekend. Once it gets here, and I've reconfigured the machine to my liking and installed the five key bits of software, I'll try attaching the old hard drive to see what can be recovered. With luck, it will just work and I can recover everything.

But it has been a frustrating couple of weeks, having to manage without the PC, but also kicking myself for not grabbing a definitive backup in the final day, and also having made several failed attempts to repair the machine (to enable that backup).

Then again, it has been time for a new PC for quite a while, and it should represent a significant improvement in performance.

No comments: