Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Never Simple

The task of setting up the new PC never seems to end.

We were extremely lucky to find that the hard drive on the old PC remained intact, which means that we didn't lose any data in the move. I've now copied everything across to the new PC, though for the moment it's all in a dumping ground folder - I still have a task to sort it into some sort of order and get rid of any files that truly are obsolete. (That's not as big a job as it may sound - I did a massive digital declutter a few years ago, so there are only a few stragglers to sort out.)

However, this has meant that the list of jobs to do for the new PC has dropped from 3 to, er, 4:

  1. I have to set up a recovery image. Annoyingly, the advice I saw said this needed to be at least 16GB, with 32GB recommended, so I duly bought a 32GB drive, only to have it turn out that 32GB is the minimum and, worse, that "32GB" drive was effectively just very slightly smaller than that.
  2. I have the aforementioned reorganisation to do.
  3. Once that reorganisation is done, I need to install Dropbox - I want to do this near the end so that the file locations dovetail properly.
  4. I need to switch the anti-virus software from the (perfectly good) version installed to the (also perfectly good) version we've been using for years.

I'm hoping to get all this done by the end of the weekend. But I'm not entirely hopeful - these tasks just seem to be growing arms and legs constantly.

No comments: