Saturday, June 03, 2023

Gala Day Season 2023 Begins

The band played their first gala day of the year this afternoon, at Mid Calder. It was fine - the usual two-mile parade followed by lunch, followed by playing around a couple of the pubs. I made my exit at this point, but I think some parts of the band continued their pub crawl afterwards.

The day featured glorious sunshine, which always makes these events more enjoyable - for all that I don't like wearing sunblock, it's far preferable to being soaked by rain. And nobody comes out in the rain, rather defeating the purpose of the exercise.

In terms of playing, the band were okay. We're in a very slightly better position than we were a year ago, having lost the sharpness we gained over the course of the season last year. Having observed attendances at practices over the year, that was inevitable - it's also now clear that this will always be the case, so I've made my peace with it.

And that's basically that. Next week is Uphall Station, while Funsize is in the parade at Livingston Village. Shame I can't be in two places at once.

No comments: