Friday, June 02, 2023

The Two-Plate System

The BBQ at work yesterday was a great success, but there's some optimization that I'm keen to make in future endeavors. Specifically, this concerns the serving of the food.

The BBQ we have has a rather large cooking area, and then also has an elevated rack for cooked food, intended to keep it warm. However, in practice this has the weakness that food on that rack continues to cook. This is fine if it is taken away promptly, but if things stay there for any length of time they inevitably burn to a cinder. This happened to most of the chicken I had carefully prepared for the day.

The upshot of that is that I'm now planning to abandon the use of this elevated rack almost entirely (indeed, I'm eve considering just removing it, to give easier access to more of the cooking area. Instead, the food will be transferred away to a serving area from which people can collect their own food. This will be done using a two-plate system. (Well, sort of...)

The idea is that the serving area will have all the cooked food on a plate. The second plate will be beside me at the BBQ. As foods finish cooking they will be moved to 'my' plate. Then, as the plate fills up and/or opportunity presents itself, the contents will be moved to the serving plate for consumption.

(In reality, it will be a four-plate system, I think - one serving plate for vegetarian food, one for pork and beef, and one for other meats. That's due to the audience I'm serving, meaning that those are the three divisions needed. I'm not proposing to maintain several BBQ plates, however - that will mostly be handled by segregating items by cook-time.)

That's the theory, anyway...

No comments: