Thursday, September 07, 2023

Gubbed

It turns out that I was wrong about my hard drive - although it did start working again, that was a final flourish before giving up the ghost. It appears to be totally dead this time.

I have purchased a new (and, indeed, bigger) hard drive to replace the failed unit. I decided that was cheaper and less hassle than having to engage with tech support (who, almost certainly, would just replace the drive anyway, with all data lost). I'll have a go at recovering the, fortunately few, things on the old drive that weren't backed up, but I don't hold out much hope.

Which is all somewhat odd: prior to 2023 I'd never had a hard drive actually fail on me. In the course of this year, LC and I have now each had a drive do exactly that, in each case with the loss of some, but not all, data.

No comments: