Monday, July 10, 2006

"At least things can't get any worse..."

In advance of going on holiday, I need to burn a couple of CDs of music for the car, to play in the spiffy CD/MP3 player I have. However, before doing this, I need to get some new music to play, as I'm getting bored with the same old stuff all the time.

So, over the last couple of weeks I have bought a number of CDs and, as is my wont, I immediately transferred the data to MP3 format, for general convenience.

On Saturday, just to prove that things can always get worse, my PC decided to crash while doing the conversion. And, when it recovered, the disk drive that was doing the conversion stopped recognising disks. There are two drives on my PC - my CD recorder, and a DVD reader. Which one do you think died - the one I could manage without, or the one that I really have to make use of before Friday?

I hope you're having fun up there, big guy, cause it's a laugh-riot where I am.

2 comments:

Captain Ric said...

You can use mine if you want.

Steph/ven said...

Ah, but the trick is this - how do I get the files from my PC on to your PC? Normally, I would burn them onto CD, and transfer them that way, but...

Anyway, I picked up a cheap CD-RW drive in Tesco on Sunday, and will probably install it tonight. Hopefully, that'll be the end of it.

And, added bonus, the 'fixes' Microsoft suggested, although they didn't fix the actual problem, have taken about 5 minutes off my PC's restart procedure! Huzzah! Perhaps I can eke another seven years of life out of this PC after all. Huzzah (again)!