Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Competition

Following last week's blog silliness, I have decided to have a sensible week. Therefore, allow me to recount for you one of the key events of my weekend.

I competed with my band on Saturday. It was my first 'proper' competition (discounting a BB contest of a few years ago because it was very obviously a different experience altogether). Because I've only just joined the band, I only played for the qualification round, which they got through. I didn't play the final.

The band came dead last in the final. This was not the result we were hoping for. However, it does mean that we can only improve, and it does give me some scope for fitting in better for the next competition.

In addition to competing, I saw a few people in other bands that I had not seen for a while. One of my former students was playing with her schools band in the Novice/Juvenile grade. They did very well, as always. Additionally, I saw (but didn't get a chance to speak to) several people from another band I'm aware of. It seems that they have left that band and joined another, which gives me a certain sense that perhaps all is not well there. Still, not my concern.

There were three lessons I learned from my experience:

1) If the car doesn't have any petrol in it, don't leave the house without your wallet. You'll need it.

2) Getting up at half past five in the morning, especially on a Saturday, is not good. However, as expected wakening at that time does not have the same paralytic effect as an unexpected wakening at three.

3) It's a good idea to wear sunblock when going out in the sun. This was the third Saturday in a row I managed to get sunburn, which is even more impressive in Scotland than elsewhere in the world.

The band are now preparing for their next competition, which is in Callander. This should be interesting, as it is on the day after I get back from my holidays. I may not be at my very best on that day.

No comments: