Saturday, August 18, 2007

Into the Lion's Den...

It being Graeme's birthday soon, I found myself heading into Toys'r'Us to select him something age-appropriate and fun to play with. (What?)

However, on walking into the store, I found myself confronted with an endless row of Transformers toys. Thousands of them, all there tempting me. Aaargh! How to resist?

But even worse, Toys'r'Us have the exclusive rights to stock the reissues of the original Generation 1 toys, the very same ones I had twenty years ago. Including, worst of all, the reissued Soundwave, one of the most popular toys that I didn't own, and really wanted. I had it in my hand, and came within a heartbeat of shelling out the £25 for it (and potentially the £20 for Skywarp, and the £15 for Prowl, and...).

I was saved by an illusion of age, thankfully. The toy seemed so much smaller than it did back in the day. Was this really an identical reissue, or was it a new toy designed to be roughly the same? (According to the internet - 'cos I've since checked - it's identical. But I'm not going back... today.)

This could get expensive...

No comments: