Friday, August 17, 2007

The man, the myth, the legend...

I haven't posted a rant about my experiences with the band recently, largely because it hasn't been necessary. A couple of months ago, we won our first prize in the modern era, and suddenly things have started to come together. The people who were constantly ranting about how the band was "seriously shite" have gradually stood down from that position, people are no longer pulling in different directions, and things are generally good.

Which is nice.

My own role within the band has changed, as well. Somewhere along the line, it was recognised by all concerned that (a) I actually can play a bit, and (b) I'm a generally useful person to have around.

As a result of this, there have been a number of practices where the pipe major couldn't make it, and I was asked to run the practice. There have also been a couple of times when the pipe major was there, but was busy with other things, and so asked me to take charge of the band while he was otherwise engaged. And, recently, the secondary instructor guy (who is going on holiday shortly) has asked me to take over the teaching of his students while he's away, with a view to bringing them on the play with the band.

All in all, things are looking up. The only concern I have now is that if the pipe major decides to step down, I think I've just nominated myself as the likely successor - the secondary instructor doesn't want the role, which means I'm it. Fortunately, I don't think the pipe major is going to step down... but then, I didn't expect it last year either.

No comments: