Monday, December 22, 2008

The Reason

For the past several months, I've occasionally mentioned The Reason, an event that would have rendered me unable to attend Chris and Juliet's weeding had it been rescheduled to Christmas (as suggested by Molly). Since first mentioning it, I have been asked about The Reason on a few occasions, but have been unable to reveal the secret until such time as the people who it needed kept secret from were informed. That happened on Friday.

This year, or rather early next year, it will be Mum's birthday. Of course, most people have a birthday every year, so you might be wondering why this is significant. Apparently, due to chronomatic looping, and/or a failed experiment involving reverse-polarity neutron flows, Mum only has a birthday occasionally. And so, it's quite a big deal.

So, we got together, my siblings and I, and had a discussion - how shall we mark this significant event? Of course, the very first issue was the practical. The specific date is actually just after the schools return in the new year, which would make for a suboptimal date for a party.

Eventually, we settled upon a plan. We would pack up just after Christmas, and head oop North for a week away over New Year. And, while we were there, we would celebrate an official birthday, according Mum an honour usually reserved for the Queen. Also, there will be cake.

And so we shall. It will be good, I hope, and when I return I shall blog about the event. And so, that is The Reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am gutted because we heard about that fronm Auntie R the other week.
Another year of anticipation wasted!

Kezzie said...

Did you watch the Dr Who prom today? I loved the way the Dr said 'Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow'- it was a real harking back to Classic Who!