Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Experimental Cookery 2015 #20: Harissa Chicken with Bulgur Wheat Salad

This week's "Experimental Cookery" comes once again from the Hairy Dieter's "How to Love Food and Lose Weight" (the white cover). As I've mentioned before, it's a great book. (And one of the best things about it is that the meals neither taste nor feel like diet food - I don't recall having ever had a bad one, and I've always felt pleasantly full afterwards.)

This meal was much like #18, in that the chicken was first smashed flat and then cooked quickly in a pan. The key difference was that it was brushed with harissa paste before the second and third flips to get the desired coating.

The salad was an interesting one, in that we hadn't had bulgur wheat before (and this meant that I was using two new ingredients for the first time). This turned out to be much like couscous, in that it basically just needed to absorb lots of water. It was then tossed with lots of salad ingredients.

Alas, I should have added plenty of pepper to the salad but forgot. Oops!

The meal took considerably longer to prepare than I had expected, but wasn't at all difficult. The result was rather pleasant, although much less hot than I had expected. I also think it would have benefitted from more time for the wheat to dry out before serving - I might be tempted to cook that up earlier and use later.

It was another winner, but again doesn't trouble my top nine. I'll definitely do it again, if only to use up the rest of the bulgur wheat!

I'm not sure what's going to be next. The book had a mini-series of three chicken dishes in a row, hence the past few entries, but that's now ended. Though... LC is cat-sitting for a few days next week and so I'll be alone. Perhaps I'll take the opportunity to do something with mushrooms...

No comments: