Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Experimental Cookery 2015 #22: Chicken Fajita Burgers

This week's effort is truly experimental - I've taken some inspiration from Lorraine's fajitas and some from those Hairy Dieter chicken meals, and some also from the burger that LC had at The Filling Station recently, but this was mostly just me.

So, I made up my fajita spice mix in a jar. I actually made up a full batch, even though this meal uses a tiny amount - we'll use the rest next time we have fajitas. I use a mix of oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, a little hot chilli powder, garam masala, and a little cayenne pepper. The chicken was bashed flat and then seasoned with half a teaspoon of spice mix per breast per side.

The chicken was then cooked on a screaming hot griddle - 2 mins on one side, 2 mins on the other, 90 seconds on the first, 90 seconds on the second... and then a further 90 seconds on each side as it wasn't fully cooked. Then set aside to rest.

I then griddled a red pepper, a green pepper, and an onion in the same griddle (with some lime juice) for about a minute, and then toasted the buger buns in the same griddle.

Then assemble: cover a third of the lower bun with soured cream, a third with mild salsa, and a third with guacamole. Add a slice of green pepper and two of red, and then a little of the onion. Add the chicken, then the second slice of green pepper, and then the top bun.

And serve with half a dozen rather disappointing micro-chips. Those could be better.

The result was extremely tasty... and even more messy. Stuff fell out all over the place! It was great though.

Huzzah!

This Week's Mug: I'm using a mug marked with six flags: Bretagne, the Isle of Man, Cornwall, Wales, the Republic of Ireland, and Scotland. I bought this mug while on a band trip to the Festival de Saint Loup a few years ago - the flags show some of the countries or regions involved in the festival. That was a good trip. Incidentally, I've done an inventory, and it looks like I only have four more mug anecdotes to share.

No comments: