Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Experimental Cookery 2020: Turkey and Ham Christmas Casserole

Despite the date of posting, this was made in 2020, hence the date above. The recipe comes from the Hairy Bikers "One Pot Wonders" book, which is rather a good one. As the name implies, it's a good way to get through some of the leftovers from Christmas dinner, of which we had plenty.

This was quick and easy to put together - a gentle reheating of the meat in some juice, then the addition of a topping assembled by food processor, and then bake.

Taste wise it was... well, it was okay I guess. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan - we have four portions in the freezer, and I'm contemplating just binning them. I have two main thoughts here. Firstly, there was just too much spinach in it - indeed, adding the spinach at all may have been a mistake. Secondly, as a result of making this up I've found I just don't like chestnuts, or at least not by themselves, so I would definitely be inclined to skip these in future.

Except that I don't expect to make this again, both because I don't expect to be doing too many Christmas dinners, and even if I did I would expect to use the leftovers for something else. A shame.

#1: "Sharpe's Siege", by Bernard Cornwell

No comments: