Saturday, January 30, 2021

Loss of a Mentor

Yesterday afternoon, shortly after I finished work for the week, I received an email informing me that my advisor of studies from my university days had passed on. On the one hand, this wasn't a huge surprise - it was twenty years ago, and his health had been in decline for some time. On the other hand, something like that always comes as a shock. TAW was somewhat unique amongst university lecturers in that he made a strong effort to remain in touch with his former students, and so his passing leaves another hole in the world.

Funnily enough though, it's sad but not a great tragedy. He had a long and happy life, he had a fulfilling career that he clearly enjoyed, and he touched a lot of lives in a very positive manner. We should all be so lucky.

No comments: