Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Obsession

My birthday BBQ is now firmly established as a tradition, albeit one that doesn't manage to happen every year (the BBQ that is!). In aid of that, for my birthday this year I received an actual book on BBQ cooking, and then a few weeks later I picked up a second. hat second book is an interesting one - it's very much a textbook on the subject and is extremely thorough.

As a consequence of that, I proceeded to spend several weeks gaining an appreciation of just why it is so many people become obsessed with BBQ in all of its forms, as I found myself examining all aspects of BBQ kit, deciding on the four (!) BBQs I wanted to get, all manner of new toys, and so on and so forth.

Fortunately, the upshot is that I have purchased none of these things. There are one or two items I may buy over time, but those are pretty minor, and in the long term I may come to replace our BBQ with another should it eventually wear out. And, finally, I might invest in a portable one, but only if we reach a point where such a thing would be justified - which is very much not the case right now.

In the meantime, we've had a few BBQs, but relatively few this year compared to years past (though, of course, one turned out to be on a rather eventful day!). We're now getting to the end of the season - I'm on the lookout to see if there is one more suitable day for it, but either way I'll be packing it up for the winter come the start of October.

#42: "Rebel", by Bernard Cornwell

No comments: