Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Another Life

One of the mixed blessings that comes with a subscription to any of the streaming services (in this case, Netflix) is that you get access to a whole lot of material that might be good. And so it was that I found myself watching "Another Life" - a sci-fi series about a sudden and world-changing first contact with an alien species.

"Another Life" started really well, with the central mystery of the aliens matched up with a deep-space mission led by Katee Sackhoff, and for much of the first series it remained mostly good and quite interesting.

Alas, the second series just went to pieces - it started by dispatching and replacing about half the remaining cast from the first year, became ever-more proposterous, and then engaged in a massive rush to tidy things up following cancellation. (I'm actually somewhat glad of that rush, since it avoided ending on a cliffhanger. Even if it was rather too "Independence Day" for my tastes.)

And that was that. Honestly, I'm a little glad it's ended, since I would probably have been pulled into a third season had there been one. And, alas, it's a show I really can't recommend.

No comments: