Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Jamie's £1 Wonders

I watched Jamie's latest show yesterday. And, um, yeah, it's a thing.

The truth is that this show, like "Jamie's Money Saving Meals" isn't actually for poor people - Jamie's just not in a position to understand and approach the problems that the genuinely poor face. And there are people who are better placed to address those problems (notably Jack Monroe).

Where this show does have value, like "Money Saving Meals" before it isn't for people who have nothing, it's for people who can and have made use of Jamie's work in the past, and who may well have a well-stocked kitchen and a well-stocked pantry, but for whom there is value in having a few lost cost meals that they can use to bring overall bills before. That is, if you can afford to buy a great big chunk of salmon and then make a week's worth of meals from that, or if you have a rack of spices and herbs, and just need some recipes with which to use those, this show may be of use to you.

In other words, it's aimed more or less squarely at people like me.

And, look, I'm not going to fault Jamie for his offering. The meals he made yesterday mostly looked reasonably appealing - there were at least two I figured I might have a go at, and one other that I thought looked quite nice but just couldn't eat (brocolli...).

But at the same time, it did feel like a bit of an odd one. I just wish I thought it wasn't needed.

No comments: