Friday, January 05, 2007

Lethal comedy

On Wednesday, I found myself watching "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on Paramount Comedy 2. Good stuff. It was the very first two episodes.

The second episode is a true masterpiece, featuring the delightful 'flying sheep' skit and the 'Yorkshire novellist' skit, both of which are highly amusing, although I had to resist the temptation to recite them along with the TV.

The first episode is not so funny, but it does have the 'Funniest Joke in the World' sketch, about a joke so funny it kills all who hear it. Amusing stuff.

But that's just background information. Yesterday, I watched the last ever episode of Green Wing, and lost yet another reason to watch Channel 4. In truth, while it was quite funny, it wasn't the comedic gem that previous episodes have been.

Or was it?

See, just as one of the breaks began, I was laughing at one of the jokes only to take a monstrous coughing fit, such that I couldn't stop, nor catch a breath. Green Wing almost killed me! Frankly, I consider that cruelty, but perhaps they considered it a mercy having removed yet another top comedy from production.

No comments: