Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Update: TV

TV is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment. "Torchwood" was awful, and has now joined "Bones" and "House" on the list of shows I'm giving up on ("Chuck" would also be on that list, but it is entering its last half-season, so I might as well stick it out).

"Doctor Who", by contrast, is great. Although I have no idea how they're going to wrap it all up in a satisfactory manner. Frankly, I'm a bit concerned about that. "Fringe" returns this week, and promises to be good, and I believe "Merlin" is due to return next week. I don't know when "Clone Wars" and "Nikita" return, but I'll be watching them.

Rather supririsingly, "Strikeback: Project Dawn" has proven to be extremely entertaining. It's not high art, to be sure, but it's good fun all the same.

"The Borgias" has been largely disappointing. I had been hoping for something like "The Tudors", but it has proven lacking. As with "The Tudors", the major problem is that absence of many sympathetic characters - they're all busy lying and scheming and seducing, but why should we care? (And the lying and scheming and seducing has, frankly, been rather tame. And they got Machiavelli totally wrong.)

There aren't many new shows that seem all that interesting. I'm going to give "Terra Nova" a chance, although it may well be awful (and if it isn't, it will probably be cancelled).

Finally, although it's not a new show, "Carnivale" is something I hadn't seen previously, and has proven to be very good.

All in all, TV does seem to be hitting a happy medium - I'm not watching anything that's just awful, I'm not watching too much at all, but there are several shows that I am watching. So I'm quite happy with that.

No comments: